WORTHING PROBUS CLUB RULES
1. The NAME of the Club shall be THE WORTHING PROBUS CLUB.
2. Its OBJECTIVE shall be to foster social fellowship between members
3. MEMBERSHIP shall be open to all RETIRED OR PARTIALLY RETIRED professional and business men and women living in and around Worthing. Application for membership shall be made on the Club's Application Form. At the discretion of the Committee, HONORARY MEMBERSHIP may be granted to members for exemplary long standing service and such Honorary Members shall pay no annual subscription. LIFE MEMBERSHIP is granted to any member attaining the age of 90 who has been a member of the club for at least 10 consecutive years. Life members pay only half the annual subscription
4. The affairs of the Club shall be managed by a COMMITTEE, comprising a President, Vice-President, Hon. Secretary, Hon. Treasurer, Minutes Secretary, Dining Secretary, Speakers Secretary, Outings Secretary and Theatres Secretary. The Committee shall have the power to co-opt additional members as necessary. Co-opted members shall not be entitled to vote. The Committee shall have the power to fill any Committee vacancies which may occur during the year. The Committee has the right to withdraw membership from any member. Such member shall have the right to appeal. The Committee shall keep accurate minutes of their meetings and accounts of the Club's finances which shall be available for inspection by members. The Committee shall meet normally on the morning of the Members lunch. Five Committee members form a quorum, of whom at least one shall be the President, Vice-President or Hon. Secretary. Any member of the Committee holds office only until the next Annual General Meeting, but is then eligible for re-election. Nominations for Committee Members other than President shall be submitted to the Hon. Secretary 14 days prior to the AGM.
5. The PRESIDENT shall be elected annually at an AGM. Nominations shall be received by the Hon. Secretary prior to the March Committee meeting. Should no such nominations be received, the Committee shall nominate the President. No President shall serve for more than 4 years.
6. The incoming President shall choose the VICE-PRESIDENT, who shall have no automatic right to succession to become President.
7. AN ANNUAL GENERAL MEETING (AGM) shall be held in April of each year. At least 30 days notice shall be given to the members of the intention to hold such a meeting by the Secretary. Decisions at meetings shall be by a majority vote as a show of hands or by ballot if so determined by the meeting.
8. The ANNUAL SUBSCRIPTION shall be determined at the AGM, becoming due on the 1st. May each year. A member joining in the last 3 months of the Club year shall not be charged.
9. An examined STATEMENT OF ACCOUNTS for the financial year to the 31st. March shall be presented by the Treasurer to the AGM.
10. LUNCHEON MEETINGS shall be held monthly, normally on the 3rd. Wednesday at noon for 12.30 pm or at the direction of the Committee. All members are assumed to be dining. Any member unable to attend a monthly lunch meeting should notify the Dining Secretary before 5.00pm on the previous Friday. Failure to do so will incur the cost of the meal. Partners and guests may be invited to an ordinary luncheon meeting subject to availability and prior notice being given to the Dining Secretary.
11. COFFEE MORNINGS shall be held monthly, normally on the first Wednesday of each month at 10.30 am; partners and guests may be invited.
12. The COMMITTEE SHALL HAVE THE AUTHORITY to deal with any matters not covered by these rules. Any amendment or addition to the foregoing rules shall require a majority vote of Members at an AGM or at an Extraordinary General Meeting. Any proposals for amendments to the Rules shall be submitted to the Secretary not less than 14 days prior to such a meeting.
Worthing Probus Club
A relaxed social club for retired business and
professional men and women